Skip to main content

Freelancer taxes can be complicated, and there are several choices regarding how they structure their business for tax purposes. Each option offers some benefits and drawbacks, and the best choice depends on individual needs and circumstances. It is important to make an informed decision about freelancer taxes to ensure you’re setting your business up for success.

In this article, we’ll break down the basics of freelancer taxes so you can understand what you need to do to reduce your taxes and comply with the IRS simultaneously.

How to Do Taxes as a Freelancer?

When choosing a business structure for your freelancer taxes, it’s important to consider factors such as liability protection, tax benefits, startup costs, and ongoing maintenance. Each choice comes with its own advantages and drawbacks, and your best choice for freelancer taxes will depend on your situation. A breakdown of the most common choices for freelancer taxes is stated below.

Sole Proprietorship

A sole proprietorship is a freelancer’s most straightforward and common business structure for freelancer taxes. The sole proprietor reports business expenses and revenue on the personal tax return using a Schedule C form. This option is easy to set up and has low startup costs, but it offers no liability protection for your personal assets.

Single Member LLC

A single-member limited liability company (LLC) is similar to a sole proprietorship, but it offers some liability protection for your personal assets. As a single-member LLC, you still report your business income and expenses on your personal tax return. Still, you can elect to be taxed as an S corporation or a C corporation, offering some tax benefits for freelancer taxes.

S Corporation

An S corporation or S corp is a corporation type that offers both liability protection and tax benefits for freelancers and their taxes. With an S corporation, you can pay a salary and take additional income as distributions, which can help you reduce your self-employment taxes for freelancer taxes. However, an S corporation has higher startup and maintenance costs than a sole proprietorship or single-member LLC.

C Corporation

A C corporation is a separate legal entity from its owners and offers the most liability protection of any business structure for freelancer taxes. However, it is also the most complex and expensive structure to set up and maintain. Reporting taxes separately from its owners in a C corporation can result in double taxation for freelancer taxes.

Remember to estimate and pay quarterly taxes, pay self-employment taxes, take advantage of tax write-offs, and file tax forms to stay compliant with the IRS for freelancer taxes. Consider using accounting software or hiring a qualified tax professional to help manage your freelancer taxes. With the right tools and knowledge, you can stay compliant with the IRS and reduce your tax liability for freelancer taxes.

Estimated Quarterly Taxes

As a freelancer, you are responsible for estimated taxes and must pay estimated taxes on your income every quarter. You’ll need to estimate your income and calculate your tax liability four times per year. To do this, you can use the IRS’s Form 1040-ES, which will help you estimate your taxes and determine how much you need to pay.

Failing to pay estimated taxes as a freelancer can result in penalties and interest charges, so it’s essential to make timely payments. As a rule of thumb, you should aim to pay at least 90% of your tax liability during the year through estimated taxes to avoid penalties. Your tax liability can change throughout the year based on your income and expenses, so it’s crucial to stay up-to-date with your estimated tax payments. By staying on top of your freelancer taxes and paying estimated taxes on time, you can avoid unwanted penalties and ensure that you’re compliant with IRS regulations.

Self-Employment Tax

As a freelancer, you are considered self-employed and responsible for paying the employer and employee portions of Social Security and Medicare taxes. You’ll need to pay a self-employment tax rate of 15.3% on your net earnings. Check S corporations for freelancers to learn how to reduce self-employment tax. 

LLC vs. S Corp for Freelancers

If you’re a freelancer, consider forming a business entity to protect your personal assets and take advantage of tax benefits. Limited liability companies (LLCs) and S corporations are two common options for freelancers. In this article, we’ll break down the differences between LLCs and S corps so you can make an informed decision for your freelancing business.

Freelance LLC

An LLC is a flexible and common business entity type that offers liability protection for its owners. If your LLC is sued, your personal assets will generally be protected. Additionally, an LLC can be taxed as a sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation. One significant benefit of an LLC for freelancer taxes is that it allows you to choose how you want to be taxed, depending on what works best for your business. For example, if you’re the only member of the LLC, you can choose to be taxed as a sole proprietorship, which simplifies your freelancer taxes.

Freelancer S Corp

S corporations, on the other hand, are a specific type of corporation that offers similar liability protection to an LLC. However, S corporations are taxed differently than LLCs. An S corporation is considered a pass-through entity, meaning that the business’s income and losses pass through to the owners’ personal tax returns. This can be beneficial for freelancers, as it can help to reduce their tax liability. It’s important to note that S corporations have strict rules and regulations, so it’s essential to work with a qualified tax professional to ensure that you meet all requirements for freelancer taxes.

So, which option is right for you? 

The answer will depend on your specific circumstances and goals. Here are a few things to consider:

  • Complexity: LLCs tend to be simpler to set up and maintain than S corporations. An LLC may be the right choice if you’re looking for a simpler business structure.
  • Taxes: S corporations may offer tax benefits for freelancers, as they are taxed as pass-through entities. However, S corporations are subject to strict rules and regulations, so it’s important to work with a qualified tax professional to ensure that you meet all requirements.
  • Liability Protection: LLCs and S corporations offer liability protection for their owners. However, it’s important to note that this protection is not absolute. You may still be personally liable for any damages if you engage in fraudulent or illegal activity.

In conclusion, deciding between an LLC and an S corporation for your freelance business will depend on various factors.

An LLC may be the right choice if you’re looking for a simpler business structure. An S corporation may be the way to go if you’re looking for tax benefits. 

As a Freelancer, Should I Incorporate?

If you’re a freelancer, you may wonder whether you should incorporate your business to reduce freelancer taxes. Incorporating can offer several benefits, including liability protection, tax benefits, and increased credibility. Freelancers can start with LLCs to keep it simple and continue until the business picks up and become profitable. Once the freelancer’s business becomes profitable, the freelancer can elect to convert the LLC into an S Corporation. By doing so, freelancer can actively reduce their self-employment taxes and take advantage of more tax deductions.

Freelance tax write-offs

As a freelancer, you may be eligible for various tax write-offs that can help you save money on your tax bill. Here are some of the most common freelancer tax deductions:

  1. Home Office Expenses: If you work from home as a freelancer, part of your home expenses may be deductible, such as rent, utilities, and internet costs, as a home office deduction.
  2. Business Travel: If you travel for work for business meetings, seminars, and expos, you may be allowed to deduct the cost of your travel, such as airfare, lodging, and meals.
  3. Office Supplies: You can write off the cost of office expenses that you use for your business, such as paper, pens, and printer ink.
  4. Professional Development: As a freelancer, you can actively deduct the cost of courses, seminars, and other professional development expenses related to your business.
  5. Business Equipment: You can deduct the cost of business equipment that you purchase, such as a computer, printer, or camera.
  6. Insurance: You can deduct the cost of business insurance, such as liability insurance, health insurance, and workers’ compensation insurance.
  7. Advertising and Marketing: The cost of advertising, branding, website, and marketing your business are tax deductible expenses.
  8. Professional Services: You can usually deduct the cost of professional and legal services that you use for your freelance business, such as accounting and legal fees.
  9. Business Meals: You can deduct the cost of business meals, such as meals with clients or colleagues.

It’s important to keep accurate records of your expenses to take advantage of these tax write-offs. You can use software or apps to track your expenses and keep receipts and invoices as proof of your expenses. If you’re unsure whether an expense is eligible for a tax write-off, consult a qualified tax professional for guidance.

In conclusion, as a freelancer, you have a variety of tax write-offs available to you. Taking advantage of these write-offs can reduce your tax liability and keep more of your hard-earned money. Just keep accurate records and certain write-offs.

Freelancer Tax Forms

If you’re a freelancer, you must file certain tax forms to report your income and expenses. 

  1. Form 1040 is the main form that individuals use to file their personal income taxes. As a freelancer, you’ll use Form 1040 to report your net income from your freelance work and any deductions and credits you’re eligible for.
  2. Schedule C: This is a supplemental form you’ll file with your Form 1040 to report your business income and expenses. You’ll use this form to calculate your net profit or loss from your freelance work for freelancer taxes.
  3. Schedule SE: As a freelancer, you can use this form to calculate the self-employment tax that you owe. The self-employment tax is a combination of Social Security and Medicare taxes that self-employed individuals are responsible for paying.
  4. Form 1099-MISC: If you earned more than $600 from a single client or company during the tax year, they would be required to issue you a Form 1099-MISC to report the income they paid you. You’ll need to report this income on Schedule C.
  5. Form 1099-K: If you received payments through a third-party platform like PayPal or Stripe, they might issue you a Form 1099-K to report those payments. You’ll need to report this income on your Schedule C as well.
  6. State and Local Tax Forms: Depending on where you live, you may also need to file state and local tax forms to report your freelance income and pay applicable taxes.

It’s important to keep accurate records of your income and expenses as a freelancer to ensure that you’re reporting everything correctly for freelancer taxes. This will make it easier to file your taxes and ensure that you’re claiming all eligible deductions.

How NumberSquad Can Help Freelancers?

If you’re a freelancer, you know how important it is to keep your business finances in order. However, managing your bookkeeping, taxes, and other financial tasks can be time-consuming and stressful. That’s where NumberSquad comes in – a cloud-based accounting solution designed specifically for freelancers.

NumberSquad helps freelancers to reduce taxes by providing bookkeeping services, filing S corp returns, and running shareholder payroll. With NumberSquad, you can easily manage your business finances and stay organized without the hassle of doing it all yourself. Here are some of the ways that NumberSquad can help you with your freelancer taxes:

Bookkeeping Services

NumberSquad provides bookkeeping services to help you to record your expenses and keep track of your income. This can be a huge time-saver for freelancers who would rather focus on their work than on managing their finances.

Filing S Corp Returns

If you’ve chosen to form an S corporation for your freelance business, NumberSquad can help you file your annual tax return. This can be a complex process, but with NumberSquad’s help, you can ensure you meet all the requirements and minimize your tax liability.

Running Shareholder Payroll

If you’re paying yourself as a shareholder of your S corp, NumberSquad can help you run payroll and stay compliant with tax laws.

Identifying Freelancer Tax Deductions

NumberSquad can help you identify tax deductions specific to freelancers, such as home office expenses, business travel, and professional development expenses. This can help you maximize your deductions and reduce your tax liability.

Paying Quarterly Estimated Taxes

As a freelancer, you’ll pay quarterly estimated taxes to the IRS. NumberSquad can help you stay on top of these payments and ensure you’re paying the right amount.

By using NumberSquad for your freelancer taxes, you can save time, money, and labor. With NumberSquad’s help, you can focus on your work and let the experts handle your finances. Plus, you can keep more of your hard-earned money by reducing your tax liability and maximizing your deductions.